My name is Sonia Chery, I am an ST3 in Warwickshire and spent last year working in a rural hospital in Uttaranchal, India as a member of Chintan International Trust (www.chitaninternational.org ).
Chintan International Trustis a UK registered charity (1133345) working in the Himalayas. We are organising the Highlands to Himalayas Journey starting in August 2010 and we are looking for interest, volunteers and people who would like to share their experience working in rural or expedition medicine.
Our main objectives are:
- To have functional mobile clinic set up in Himalayas by Oct 2011
- To establish links between this mobile clinic and secondary and tertiary care by creating workable care pathways
- To create an International Virtual Hospital to enable health care workers to support each other and to link to specialists worldwide
The H2H journey will help us achieve these objectives by:
- Learning first hand from GPs and health workers who have experience in medicine in rural and remote areas in different cultural settings, and creating long term links with them
- Learning about models of training for remote rescue workers, including doctors, mountain rescuers, police etc…
- Using the experience gained on the way to develop new models for the Himalayas
- Increasing interest for our volunteer base both for the journey and for the clinics in the Himalayas
We would welcome opportunities to meet with GPs and other health professionals in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland en route before late August 2010.
If possible we would like to meet members of the local community through talks e.g. schools, GP practices, mountain rescue centres etc. We would also value a chance to talk to or be in email contact with people who would like to share their experience, and who would be interested in participating in the International Virtual Hospital
If you would like to help in ANY way please see this website for further details: www.chintaninternational.org