The annual RGPAS (Rural GP’s Association of Scotland) conference will be held on Thursday 5th to Saturday 7th November 2015. As with tradition, it will once again be held at the Craigmonie Hotel in Inverness.
The programme includes a keynote speech from Dr John Wynn-Jones, Chair of the WONCA Working Party on Rural Practice. He will speak about “Expanding Rural Horizons – What Benefits of International Collaboration?”.
Other speakers on Thursday (registration at 0930h) include:
- Dr Penny Lockwood, with exciting plans to offer an intercalated degree in Rural Health at Dundee University
- Dr Kim Miller from Aberdeen University will provide an update about undergraduate training
- Dr David Cunningham from NES will speak about “Rural CPD and NES – What Can We Offer You?”
- Dr Andrew Buist will provide an update from the BMA about the proposed 2017 Scottish GP Contract
- Dr David Binnie, GP from Colonsay will present an audit on Emergency Activity on the island
- Dr Helen Robinson will speak about the ‘Singlehanded’ Project
- Dr Chris Williams will inspire, inform and enthuse us all to realise the benefits of social media!
… followed by an informal dinner at Sam’s Indian Cuisine.
Friday’s line up (starting at 0900h) includes:
- Mr Steven Ross from Raigmore Hospital, with a pragmatic update on ENT presentations
- Dr Hamish Greig will discuss the opportunities and considerations of using ultrasound in rural general practice
- Andy Newiss of Clements Accountants will discuss maintaining profitability and viability in rural practice
- Dr Drew Inglis of the EMRS Team will tell us about the latest efforts to improve connectivity in rural Scotland
After lunch, Dr David Hogg will lead a session aimed at students and trainees – but open to all – on ‘Rural Practice and Me’. Watch this space! This will be followed by the RGPAS AGM – again open to all, and which often involves lively and informative debate.
… a conference dinner will then be held in the hotel.
On Saturday we are welcoming a visit from the EMRS squad, who will provide a number of practical work stations to brush up on emergency care skills.
For booking form and programme, see the links below. Hope to see you there!